Saturday, September 11, 2010

Rhinosaur

Arturo Aragon


I was planning on writing about the actual Quran burning happening today in protest against the building of a Mosque/community center near ground zero. This morning I read the update saying that there will not be any burning this Saturday evening.


To be honest I'm a little relieved that this blatantly retarded attack on another culture/ethnic group was called off. Not only did it caused a lot of problems in the middle east such as protests where a few people were hurt or even one died! as well as it motivated a few new recruits into the Taliban or Al Qaeda.

President Obama made it very clear in the article. Of course we have to be sensitive to the whole issue, people's lives were lost there and in the recurring events that lead to it. But lately to me it feels as it we're pacifying our citizens into utter ignorant whiny babies. "Muslims are other Americans' neighbors, friends and co-workers" President Obama stated in the Article.

We are supposed to be the land of the free, we have a constitution and a bill of rights. We can't go around persecuting others otherwise we would have been better off in a Monarchy or Fascist government. How would people feel if we started going after Christians? It would only seem fair, after all Ignorant Christians have been waging wars and hatred for 2000 years. From Crusades, Inquisitions, Witch hunts, The Westboro Baptist church that thanks God for dead soldiers and Aids.

The last part of the Article proves my point.
["We're pointing the finger at the wrong person," Jones said. "I haven't even done anything. I think it reveals ... the violence in Islam. Just the mere mentioning of it, just the threat, causes them to kill people, to protest, to say they are going to kill the president. I think it is quite obvious that what we are saying is definitely, definitely true."]

There is a stench in the air of smug moral superiority sometimes and it really bothers me. Of course, not to the extent where I get angry or loose sleep. But Sometimes it feels like we're not really evolving or that we're taking steps back but I really can't generalize the whole public otherwise I wouldn't be any different than the people starting this.

No comments:

Post a Comment